Learn English – Do you want to sound ‘more English’? Then Learn English here!
Do you want to sound ‘more English’? Perhaps like your favourite actor or singer? Then Learn English here!
The good news is you can! But not without lots of careful listening and pronunciation practice. So, if you want to put in the work, here’s how you can improve your pronunciation:
- Choose a short scene from your favourite film, TV programme, or interview with your favourite actor or singer. Download it and save it so that you can listen to it many times.
- Listen to your chosen scene and write down the transcript word by word. If your chosen scene is from a film or a TV programme, you might be lucky and find it already transcribed on the Internet.
- Listen to the same scene again and notice the pauses. Whenever the speakers make a pause, use / / to mark their pauses. For example: Life is like a box of chocolates,/you never know what you’re going to get . /
- Listen to the same scene again. This time notice the stressed words, and underline them. For example: Life is like a box of chocolates,/you never know what you’re going to get. /
- Listen to the same scene again and pay attention to the intonation – if the speakers’ voices go up, down, up and down or down and up! Mark the intonation using arrows.
- Now listen and repeat line by line. Not once or twice, but until you feel you sound exactly like the speakers in your scene.